The Academies in common with many schools operate as a cashless school. This reduces the risk of loss or theft and removes the worry of carrying cash from our students.
There are many benefits such as:
- You are able to pay funds to the school whenever it suits you using a debit or credit card- the online portal is available 24/7
- Each online payment can cover multiple family members
- You have the peace of mind that the transactions are secure (we use one of the biggest banks and the largest credit card processing service in the UK) so there is never any risk of payments going astray.
- Through the online portal, as well as putting money onto your child`s cashless catering account, you can see what they have purchased in the school cafeterias each day.
Funds normally become available to spend within an hour of payments being made (other than during the lunch period when the online payments are unavoidably suspended due to the way the link works with the cashless catering system)
Refunds can be processed easily and quickly back onto your card
If you have not already registered for online payment, please contact the finance department
Advantages of using biometric technology (using index fingers) to access the system are:
- Helps to prevent intimidation and theft by others
- Alternative systems depending on the carrying of a card are more open to abuse, and suffer from the possibility of cards being lost, stolen or forgotten
- Replacing lost tickets or cards will add cost and administration time to the system; it is unlikely that students could say they had lost their finger
- Biometric technology has become more widely used in recent years as there is a greater awareness that biometric systems used in schools do not precisely identify individuals in the way that police fingerprinting may do, and the data is stored as a code number which is deleted once the student leaves
Please note during the current circumstances we are not accepting finger prints and instead taking students names from their first impressions cards.
Free School Meals
You can register your child for Free School Meals if you receive the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit.
- Child Tax Credit, provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190.
Registering is really quick and easy if you think you qualify, please click here.
At Avonbourne Girls’ Academy, we strongly believe that no child should come to school too hungry to learn. To that end, we have partnered with "Magic Breakfast", a charitable company that is able to provide a free breakfast for eligible students at Avonbourne Girls’ Academy.
An estimated half a million children arrive at school each day too hungry to learn and research has found that secondary school pupils who eat a healthy breakfast regularly score nearly two GCSE grades above their peers who often miss a meal.
Click here to view more information about the Magic Breakfast
Click here to view the September 2020 letter
Click here to view Magic Breakfast Ingredients and Allergens
Please see the article below from the Education Endowment Foundation that demonstrates the research behind this initiative.
EEF Research Project